Open Moko Themes

Tim Newsom cephdon at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 17:23:10 CEST 2007

On Wed, 13 Jun 2007 7:08, Emre Turkay wrote:
> On 6/13/07, Peter A Trotter <peter.trotter at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If the application is then used on a different form factor device you
>> can
>> simply produce a new SVG file. All the UI script and images are linked
>> the SVG.
>>
>> This also gives us a nice separation of people who are good at making
>> things
>> look good and those of us who know the loop preconditions /
>> postconditions
>> without even thinking.
>>
>> If openmoko is to deal with multiple different devices/resolutions
>> this will
>> be a key feature.
>
> I totally agree that openmoko graphics should be in a vector graphics
> format. Generate the bitmaps bigger for neo and maybe smaller for
> iphone, etc. Storing the generated bitmaps in .png or .svg files does
> really don't much matter. If .svg provides embedding bitmaps, why not.
>
> emre

As I understand it, you would not even need to build a different svg
file.  You could use the same one and it could automatically scale
because the engine would scale it..  It should be possible (in my mind)
to take a layout for 320 x 240 and draw it perfectly at 648 x 480.. Any
image bitmaps would be out of sync unless you changed them but if its
all done in svg it would render perfeclt.  Same the other way.. All
ratios would be the same (assuming a smaller display in the same
orientation and proportional dimensions) so the exact same skin and
theme would not need translation at all (except any embedded bitmaps).

Again, that's how I understand it currently.
--Tim