OpenMoko != Neo1973 (Was: Openness (was RE: Concern for usability and ergonomics))

michael at michaelshiloh.com michael at michaelshiloh.com
Wed Jun 13 21:41:34 CEST 2007

JTAG is basically a way to inspect and/or set each and every register on the
processor, not only the registers you're familiar with from a programmer's
point of view, but also registers that might hold the state of input and
output pins, etc. Also since you can control each register and single step the
processor, you can use JTAG to peek and poke to every address or register that
the processor can access on other chips, e.g. RAM. This is slow, of course,
but is very powerful.

It's all on the wiki. I beleive there is a page describing how to download and
set up the debugger. It's standard gdb (for ARM of course) with the
appropriate software (drivers?) for the Neo/USB interface card. I think the
USB port shows up as a serial port. Come to think of it there may be no need
for drivers.

Hopefully this will give you some pointers. If you want to become really
popular, take notes as you go along, and then post them on the wiki as the
start of a JTAG howto. Would be very useful.

Michael