New wishlist item: Side-mounted touch strip sensor

Steven Milburn steven.milburn at
Wed Jun 20 02:59:05 CEST 2007

It's been discussed here before (by me ;) ), but I think it's fitting to
bring it up in this thread.....

Mounting a swipe fingerprint sensor on the side would provide the following:

* A low-power way to unlock the phone while verifying the user should be
unlocking the phone.
* Enhanced, or at least more convenient if you believe the anti-fingerprint
fud, security for your data
* a navigation device that can scroll in two directions as well as include
tapping and double-tapping
* some gesture recognition for shortcuts (speed dial, application starting,
* I'm probably missing some.