the keyboard on the competition

Steven ** montgoss+openmokocommunity at
Thu Jun 28 17:05:51 CEST 2007

On 6/28/07, Peter A Trotter <peter.trotter at> wrote:
> On 28/06/07, Fabien <fleutot+openmoko at> wrote:
> >
> > On 6/28/07, Robin Paulson <robin.paulson at> wrote:
> > >
> > > someone on this list had a similar idea for enlarging number keys i
> > > think, they would appear or resize depending on context iirc?
> > >

> > That's shiny and beautiful, but of limited use: the key becomes bigger
> > *after* it's been hit, too late to help the user aiming. Well, actually it's
> > still got a practical use: it helps notice when one hits the wrong key (I
> > guess no human being could type without looking at the keyboard on an
> > iphone).
> >
> This immediately made me think of enlarging keys on a predictive basis.
> Not sure it is that useful but it was an amusing thought.
> -Pete

Which immediately makes me think of the way Dasher ( works, with the most common next
letter(s) being greatly enlarged from its normal size.  This could work for
a keyboard too, with the predicted next keys getting larger and less likely
keys shrinking.  It would have to be handled very well though, or else it
would just look horrible and be unusable.