'My Account' - a way to store information about the phones owner, so they can be reunited if it's lost.

Bartłomiej Zdanowski DRP AC2 b.zdanowski at autoguard.pl
Mon Mar 5 09:14:56 CET 2007

Ian Stirling napisał(a):
> Paul Wouters wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007, Ian Stirling wrote:
>>
>>> Reflashing never gets you back a different account number, it keys
>>> off the
>>> IMEI, which is not flashable. (well, perhaps it is, but it's not
>>> flashable
>>> from the linux side, and AIUI, nobody else knows how at the moment.)
>>
>> I really hope the IMEI number is not available to every application
>> or even
>
> The IMEI is readable out of the modem with standard AT commands.
> There is even a standard across all GSM phones to get it to display it.
Guys, guys... IMEI is written on phone's specific component. In older
phones there was just eeprom which could be desoldered changed and
soldered back. That was the way to disable SIM-Lock too.
I used to do it.
IMEI is like MAC address. It can be changed. It is granted from special
pool to every GSM module manufacturer (just like MAC is).
The phone manages IMEI distribution and displaying. If you can program
your phone, you can disable IMEI showing to user.

It was the primary task after phone theft to change IMEI so GSM network
cannot recognize it as stolen. Really, consider it as MAC address. Phone
operators actually keep only black list to block stolen phone and not
every GSM operator does it. Also if the number is out of the official
manufacturer pool (illegal) network won't give access.

Ian Stirling says: "a standard across all GSM phones to get it to
display it". Yes, it is *#06# combination from keypad (try it) and AT
commands. But it is the standard, like Ctrl+alt+delete for rebooting
(both Linux and MS Products). Showing it to user or applications CAN be
disabled.
Other thing is GSM network request. GSM network requires the phone to
tell it's IMEI otherwise it won't give the phone access to network.
This cannot be disabled.

Summing:
As *we* program Neo 1973 we are managing the use of IMEI number. We can
hide it from user. We cannot hide it from GSM network.

--
*Bartłomiej Zdanowski*
Programista

Sąd Rejonowy dla m.st. Warszawy, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego
Rejestru Sądowego
KRS: 0000029534
NIP PL1132219747
ul. Omulewska 27