Yet another finger keybord (gui mock-up).

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Mon Mar 5 10:32:05 CET 2007

On Monday 05 March 2007 03:21:15 Florent THIERY wrote:
> Hey, great idea ! I'd be happy to use such a system.

Yeah, it looks neat. I think I'd downscale the number of special chars though.
I very much doubt you could actually read the characters on the Neo screen
right now.

> But there's a problem i didn't find an answear to:
> - the neo will have a "monopoint" touchscreen (at least at first)
> - a finger is way bigger than a detectable area

> -> What point will exactly be detected while pressing somewhere with a
> finger?

I don't think those an issue here: you tap on the key (might want to scale it
down to 6 keys, that still gives you  36 characters which is enough for just
about any character based language I can think of), hold your finger, then
move it towards the character you actually want. The phone doesn't actually
need you to tap the character exactly, the direction of the vector of your
fingers movement should be enough (with 6 adjacent characters, i.e. honeycomb
[1] like layout, you still have a 60° field to hit)?

[1] which brings me to the point that maybe round buttons aren't the most
efficient way of doing it?