GPS for 911 calls

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht wolfgang.rupprecht+gnus200703 at
Wed Mar 7 19:14:48 CET 2007

Harald Welte <laforge at> writes:
> I am not aware that GSM carriers in the US use GPS at all.  To the best
> of my knowledge, only CDMA carriers do.
> In the Neo1973 we don't have any such facility or protocol.  And to be
> honest: I'm more than happy about that, for data protection reasons.

I'm curious does anyone know if there is a protocol for remotely
turning on the microphone?  I recall reading about a case where the US
FBI got into trouble with the courts for remotely bugging a suspected
Mafia member's Onstar gps-equipped car phone.

While such a feature might be useful if the phone were ever stolen, it
would also be nice to know that any features like this are under the
phone owner's full control.

Wolfgang S. Rupprecht