Crossroads

Christian F.K. Schaller christian at fluendo.com
Wed Mar 14 17:20:54 CET 2007

Hi Mike,
Why don't you contact your local service provider and ask them if their
service plans lock out 3rd party devices? While they can't tell you
about the FIC phone specifically they should be able to tell you if they
have something in place hindering 3rd party phones from working with
their services.

If the answer you get from that question doesn't make you secure enough
to buy the this phone, then you are not the target group for purchasing
the phone at this point. In this case you could instead suggest to your
network provider that they partner with FIC to offer FIC's phones to
their customers and in the meantime either stick with your current phone
or ask your network provider to suggest a phone to get.

Could be that FIC will make some compatibility promises once the phone
starts being sold towards the general market, but I have never seen a
phone manufacturer do this. In fact I never seen anyone ever worry about
this issue before at all, but maybe the market is more fragmented in the
US than here is Europe so that you need to worry about such issues.

Christian