Harald Welte laforge at
Wed Mar 14 17:08:09 CET 2007

On Wed, Mar 14, 2007 at 12:10:22PM -0400, Mike wrote:

> I had thought this would be like other third party electronics- like
> third party phone chargers for example- which do specify (and guarantee)
> what they'll work with. I guess not.

I don't understand what is wrong about selling a device that has

1) FCC approval
2) GSM certification

The whole point about having norms and standards is that you do _not_
have to talk to each and every vendor and/or operator, but that everyone
just complies with those starndards, have stringend certification
procedures, and ensure inter-vendor and cross-operator interoperability.

- Harald Welte <laforge at>