Size and weight considerations for future Openmoko devices

Ian Stirling openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Wed May 2 14:31:16 CEST 2007

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 May 2007 13:51:01 Ian Stirling wrote:
>> Yes, it makes the text a tiny bit sharper, and if you bring it to 20cm
>> from the eye, and have good eyes, you can read 80*25 text on it, but...
>> If you could knock off 50g by going to 240*320, I suspect I would.
>

> If laptops are any indication then higher DPI LCDs don't translate in
> noticeably more weight in my experience.

Yeah - there is very little difference.
I was just meaning that there is no way I'd pick a much heavier phone
over one with more DPI, once you get over 150DPI or so.

The differences in the weights in real life are small - basically you
need moderately more power to run it, which means a slightly bigger battery.
(The faster clock rate of the LCD means that you have to pull more data
out of the framebuffer, which ends up using more power, in addition
there will be some extra power used in the LCD, all else being equal.)