Using virtual file systems (FUSE, libferris) as contacts and media metadata browsing interface

Joe Pfeiffer jjpfeifferjr at comcast.net
Wed May 2 16:46:33 CEST 2007

Florent THIERY writes:

>Do you have ideas/comments (mainly regarding the devices' resources)?
>
>We may gain UI design simplicity this way.

Very cool stuff.  My guess is that we've only seen a tiny fraction of
the neat fuse-based filesystems that are going to be created; a
fuse file system really has a very small footprint (considering only
the code for the FS itself; naturally, whatever data you're putting in
the FS takes its own space), so I don't see device resources as being
a big deal.

I've started working on the pdfs (personal data filesystem) that
was discussed here a while ago (called personal encryption file system
when we were talking about it), but the combination of a play opening
(see http://lcctnm.org, look at the bottom of the cast list) and the
imminent end of the semester have put things on hold until the second
week of May.  The ease of creating a new file system with whatever
functionality you want using fuse is just hard to express!