Size and weight considerations for future Openmoko devices

Peter A Trotter peter.trotter at gmail.com
Thu May 3 12:57:30 CEST 2007

Plenty of good points well made and also some good points not so well made
;)

The fact that FIC are keen to build a whole slew of devices about openmoko
is great news and I hope that we will see different form factor phones as
well as other devices.

That said I am almost more excited about getting more openmokos out in the
wild because I am sure that we are going to see a good amount of hardware
hacking as well as software. If weight is an issue for some it would be
interesting to see component breakdown from a weight point of view, see
where the difference in weight comes from. Personally, I like weighty and am
more bothered about bulky.

Am I right in thinking that the Neo hardware designs are almost as open as
openmoko? Would be interesting to see a bit of community design from that
side of things. Cherry pick from current designs or something entirely new.
I wonder how small you could squeeze down Neo hardware if you had a fixed
battery with much smaller cover for sim and micro sd?

I've not plucked up teh courage to take apart my ipod nano yet but I have
always wondered how they get that little thing together from a manufacturing
point of view. Obviously the metal case would be rubbish for a phone and
there is no way I'm suggesting anything that small...