Size and weight considerations for future Openmoko devices

openmoko list subsriber openmoko at gliders.ch
Thu May 3 14:11:05 CEST 2007

Hello

I have been using for several years now a Nokia 7710. It is a little bigger than the Neo.
    * Weight:189 g
    * Dimensions:128 x 69.5 x 19 mm
But the greatest feature about this mobile phone is the screen size and
resolution.
    * 640 x 320 pixel
Reading my email and attached documents or browsing the web is so much better. I would not settled for a small 320 x 240 screen.
I also have installed Tomtom  and use the phone for navigation with a bluetooth GPS. Again the screen size / resolution and therefore phone size is a plus.

I have looked at several alternatives that have an integrated GPS and have a possibility to write software in an opensource env.

I first was interested in the ImCoSys phone ( http://www.imcosys.com/ ), but the screen resolution bothers me as explained above. Now I am waiting to get my hands on the Neo with openmoko.

I really like the whole project, good work guys.

Philipp