GPRS while ringing?

kenneth marken k-marken at online.no
Mon May 7 18:55:44 CEST 2007

Nils Faerber wrote:
> Joel Newkirk schrieb:
>> Is it possible and feasible to establish a brief (3-5 seconds?) GPRS
>> connection when ringing an incoming call?
>>
>> I've been thinking about callerid name lookups.
>
> I guess not.
> First of all GPRS connection setup can take longer than this - basically
> the GPRS data connection is done using PPP.
> Second, though not being a GSM expert, I think that voice call is not
> possible during GPRS sessions. This would for me also mean that during
> call signalling GPRS cannot be established - either the GPRS or teh
> voice call will fail then.

on my SE Z710 the blue and green globe that indicates GPRS connection
goes gray on a call or similar. as in, it maintains the connection
internally, but no data can be be exchanged oveer it.

the data while talking is supposedly one of the benefits of the UMTS
system as its needed to do video calls. funny thing is that if they
instead went for transporting both the call and the video as a single
data stream (IP anyone?) the problem would be gone, even without having
a whole new phone system in place.

but then i guess it would be harder for the network operators to bill
you for your use...