Ubuntu Mobile and Embedded

Vincent imnotb at gmail.com
Wed May 9 13:47:21 CEST 2007

On 08/05/07, Joe Friedrichsen <pengi.films at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 5/8/07, Vincent <imnotb at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 08/05/07, Marcin Juszkiewicz <openembedded at hrw.one.pl> wrote:
> > >
> > > But GMAE project (which you talk about) was created by companies which
> > > already work in embedded world - for example OpenedHand (which work on
> > > most of OpenMoko framework).
> >
> > Isn't that even better? Ubuntu mostly works closely with Gnome, so if
> GMAE
> > was created by companies which already work in the embedded world then
> > Ubuntu can profit from that experience.
>
> In reading this thread, the tone appears to be the opposite: people
> are hoping that OM et al can benefit from Ubuntu's efforts, not the
> othe way around. Certainly collaboration and help will be going in
> both directions, so I'll be happy either way it goes since it will be
> both.
>
> Joe

I just read this: http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS2403415870.html

Contrary to widespread rumors, Ubuntu Mobile will not target mobile phones.
Instead, the "mobile and embedded" version of the popular desktop Linux
distribution will be developed in partnership with Intel, and will target
"mobile Internet devices" (MIDs), along the lines of Nokia's N800 web
tablet.

--
Vincent