Other Devices

Nicolas Bougues nbougues-listes at axialys.net
Thu May 10 09:47:11 CEST 2007

On Thursday 10 May 2007 09:15:08 Michael 'Mickey' Lauer wrote:

> In short, if the hardware is open enough to get Linux running with all
> peripherals supported, then the upper layers are no problem (except minor
> touches to accomodate for display resolution, different GSM modem, buttons,
> LEDs, etc.).

Actually, the GSM part may, or may not, be *that* minor. The FIC device uses a
fully "self contained" radio interface, with it's very own separated CPU,
memory, and PCB space. It's a big advantage from the "software-interfaceness"
point of view, but it may not be great for (smallish) hardware design.

OTOH, "proprietary" phones are free to use whatever "integrated"
chipset/software design they are comfortable with, and I believe that in most
Nokia phones, it wouldn't be  *that* easy to use the GSM radio part with
Nokia proprietary firmware, along with another, non Nokia OS.

--
Nicolas Bougues