firefox for mobiles

Bradley Hook bhook at kssb.net
Fri May 11 20:34:27 CEST 2007

While FF does have a fairly large footprint, I've never had these kinds
of memory consumption problems. I generally leave my FF sessions open
for days or weeks at home, and I simultaneously load 3D games, OOo,
graphics apps, and other stuff without ever having trouble with memory
(granted I do have 2GB).

However, even the large memory footprint that I do see has an
explanation, and can be tuned by tweaking about:config. By default, FF
caches every page loaded on every tab for that sessions. If you consider
a geek's multi-day surfing session, that is a lot of data to cache, and
the cache data also can't be compressed. Since the primary target of FF
is the "average" user -- which has several short surfing sessions and
usually closes the browser between sessions -- the default settings make
sense. If this is not your surfing style, then change your settings.

That said, the full blown browser would be an awfully hefty app to put
on a phone, and the minimo browser is currently targeting windows
portables. Why not go with something with a tiny footprint, time-tested
and proven.... lynx anyone?

~Bradley