How many FOSS developers & users Worldwide?

Gabriel Ambuehl gabriel_ambuehl at buz.ch
Sat May 12 11:16:27 CEST 2007

On Saturday 12 May 2007 11:07:19 sean at openmoko.org wrote:
> Dear Community!
>
> Hopefully you guys can help me. I'm trying to find the number of FOSS
> developers and users worldwide for some marketing related presentations but
> just can't seem to find any solid numbers. It would also be very
> interesting to see how this number compares to the number of developers
> worldwide.
>
> Does anyone have any good links they could send me?

I dont think any reliable data exists, but as far as users go, Firefox market
share might give a lower bound that should not be too far removed from the
truth.

However, I think you first need a definition just what constitutes a OSS user
as technically, all OSX users use Webkit which is OSS (there are numerous
other examples like that).

As for developers I don't really have a good idea, but you could start with
looking at sourceforge stats maybe?