First impressions of Neo1973

Dr. H. Nikolaus Schaller hns at computer.org
Wed May 16 17:11:51 CEST 2007

> Why do we keep saying it's still early?  The phone was due in
> March, and it's now not going to ship (if we're lucky) until June.
> It's not early, it's late!  Yes, the hardware has had issues, and
> yes we want it right, but the software should have been ready to go
> in March when it was scheduled to be released.  Everyone keeps
> saying that it doesn't matter that this thing is

For a mass market phone I agree that it is late - and to be precise,
it was announced for January: http://www.openmoko.com/files/
OpenMoko_20061107.pdf
But for a really unique open developer platform it is never too late.

> going to be released around the iPhone's release - but just try and
> get some PR during the iPhone's rollout.  Timing is everything, and
> in June all eyes will be on Apple.  Say what you want, but this
> latest ship was just another shot in the foot towards the product's
> success.

That depends on whether you believe this "iPhone killer" positioning
does matter at all. I think what more matters is whether Apple opens
the iPhone or not. Apple appears to be undecided themselves:

http://www.macrumors.com/2007/05/11/apple-still-considering-3rd-party-
iphone-app-development/