Making Neo Brickproof, was comments after reading Wiki

Simon Matthews s.matthews at karrak.id.au
Fri May 18 05:51:39 CEST 2007

On Thu, 2007-05-17 at 09:19 -0300, Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Yeah, we tried, but it just doesn't seem to be possible :-( There
> are some alternatives, but they then lead to other problems, such
> as chips not being available in quantity, etc. (And we've had our
> number of surprises with that. Once bitten, ...)

If you do find a chip with a small protected page i might be interested
in writing the loader i have outlined.

> will be exercised well enough. To the contrary, since this is code
> we already use daily, it's more likely to be correct than a
> special-purpose loader that only gets used rarely.

As long as the bootstrap code  reprogramming is bullet proof or you
don't see the need for changing the boot code i can't see any problems
with one large bootstrap.

> You'd have to ask Harald for comments on USB (among other things,
> he implemented DFU in u-boot),  but my impression is that it's hard
> and messy enough that nobody wants to maintain yet another stack.

I looked at using USB a few years ago and decided it was too convoluted
and complex. IMHO a powered Ethernet variant would have been a much
better arrangement that the USB mess.

Regards

Simon