FCC Approval

Jim Thompson jim at netgate.com
Mon May 21 03:02:19 CEST 2007

Jason Elwell wrote:
> Jim,
> Question: Do the regulations govern devices that are offered for sale in the
> US, but not devices that are sold by an off-shore company to people in the
> US?
>
> I was under the impression that any electronic device sold for use in the USA
> has to be cleared by the FCC.

Customs tends to stop them at the border.

Nothing prevents you from carrying one (or perhaps two or three) in with
you, of course.  Technically, its a violation, but you'll never be caught.

But if you try to import a box of twenty, US Customs will check them,
and you'll need to file the requisite paperwork showing that they do,
indeed, conform to FCC regs, including the requisite agency approvals, etc.

Jim