GPS Navigation Software (roadster)

openmoko at mauve.plus.com openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Sun May 27 18:18:09 CEST 2007

> I believe a combination of OSM and some proprietary maps would be great.
> We could use the prop. maps for navigation, and when we get internet
> access, we could upload the GPS coordinates to OSM. That way the OSM
> could be improved without too much effort.
>
> We need a nice implementation for this.
>
> What do you think?

I've proposed in the past on IRC - though I should probably write it up on
the wiki:
If user is willing to participate at low levels only:
 Take GPS tracklogs whenever in motion.
 Optionally delete tracks within 100m (or whatever) of a point randomly
selected 50m from a waypoint (to obscure the end-points).
 Upload to a central server.
 The server anonymises the tracklogs, and submits them at random to OSM
over the next month.
If they are willing to do more:
 As above, but add 'car/bus/train/...' modes to a screensaver-like UI.
Further options would be for example, voice annotation of the GPS
tracklog, or keyboard.