GPS Navigation Software (roadster)

Flemming Richter Mikkelsen quatrox at gmail.com
Sun May 27 19:35:36 CEST 2007

On 5/27/07, Oleg Gusev <oleg at crista.uni-wuppertal.de> wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 27. Mai 2007 16:56 schrieb Flemming Richter Mikkelsen:
> >
> > We could use the prop. maps for navigation, and when we get internet
> > access, we could upload the GPS coordinates to OSM. That way the OSM
> > could be improved without too much effort.
> >
> > We need a nice implementation for this.
> >
> http://www.freemap.co.il/roadmap
>
> Oleg.

I didn't mean that kind of implementation. I meant that we should just have
a daemon to log the coordinates all the time, and when internet is
available, then upload the information. No questions (except maybe the first
time).

>>I've proposed in the past on IRC - though I should probably write it up on
>>the wiki:
>>If user is willing to participate at low levels only:
>> Take GPS tracklogs whenever in motion.
>> Optionally delete tracks within 100m (or whatever) of a point randomly
>>selected 50m from a waypoint (to obscure the end-points).
>> Upload to a central server.
>> The server anonymises the tracklogs, and submits them at random to OSM
>>over the next month.
>>If they are willing to do more:
>> As above, but add 'car/bus/train/...' modes to a screensaver-like UI.
>>Further options would be for example, voice annotation of the GPS
>>tracklog, or keyboard.

 This sounds like a great idea as long as it is simple for the user. If it
is more easy to log the gps, than to not, most users will log. So we should
focus on simplicity