Specs and Docs

Sean Moss-Pultz sean at openmoko.com
Mon May 28 02:45:01 CEST 2007

On May 27, 2007, at 11:24 AM, Varga-Háli Dániel wrote:

> I think it would be a great idea if the core team - and the community
> too - would take some time (no matter how much it is) and would
> document every small aspect of OpenMoko. From kernel to GUI.
> Usually those projects that are really well documented are more
> sucessfull. Fast hardware is cool to have but I think, the thing on
> which a team should really concentrate is to get developers to build
> apps, port apps and so on.

I hear (and share) your concerns, but documentation is not something
we (the coreteam) can devote most of our time to at this point.
There's just too many construction sites in the code now.

People have also asked for a stable toolchain and SDK.

This stuff will all come with time. We think it's a higher priority
to get things working first. Then add polish later. Unlike most
commercial projects, everything we do is FOSS. So you always have the
code, which -- although the learning curve might be a bit steeper --
is guaranteed to be up to date ;-)

I just looked back on our wiki and this was the first item that we
added:

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Wish_List#Painless_SDK_installation_.
26_Setup

If you think we need to do more please just add it to the Wiki. We
really do use this stuff to prioritize our work.

> Me, personally, do not want to spend my time trying to build the dev
> environment. I want to start some actual work. Many of us is like
> that. So, once you guys have some free time (that I doubt as of now),
> it would be beneficial to pay some more attention on docs and maybe a
> downloadable and runnable Qemu.

You should checkout MokoMakefile. It seems to be exactly what you
want at this point.

http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/MokoMakefile

-Sean