GPS+sms apps

Mikko J Rauhala mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue May 29 15:56:20 CEST 2007

On ti, 2007-05-29 at 09:15 -0400, Crane, Matthew wrote:
> I guess SMS is generally more accessable and tends to be a lot cheaper,
> often free, in Toronto and most of Canada.

I didn't know SMS are often free; here they cost a bundle, though a bit
less if you take a bulk deal in your monthly fees. OTOH, here we have
quite affordable no-limit GPRS(/EDGE/UMTS).

Clearly it would be good for a locator service to be able to communicate
via both methods, depending on what kind of a mobile plan the user has.

As for availability, for a GPRS-preferred user of such a service you
could pretty much assume that they are connected whenever the phone is
on and has coverage, so not that different from SMS...

--
Mikko J Rauhala <mjrauhal at cc.helsinki.fi>
University of Helsinki