information efficient text enty using dasher

openmoko at mauve.plus.com openmoko at mauve.plus.com
Wed May 30 01:44:22 CEST 2007

> Jonathon Suggs wrote:
>> My favorite input method is still the finger splash concept (needs some
>> tweaking to the concept though)
>> http://www.micropp.se/openmoko/
>
> I like that one. One issue would be the font size, though - the
> secondary letters are quite hard to read on the Neo, and the
> multi-letter functions are basically unreadable (while
> "unsplashed").

Dasher is only really information efficient considering the input only.
The output stream needs to be quite dense.

This pretty much means that you have to stare at the display all the time
when inputting text.
Sure - in theory, dasher may approach arithmetic coding in terms of
information input.
But unless you can do the coding in your head, you've got to stare at the
screen, making it less useful for environments where you've got vibration,
sunlight, walking down the street, or less likely for a phone, if you're
blind. (Hmm. /me ponders dasher with audio prompting)
T9 or even abc def ... you can use blind.
Even qwerty with real hardware keys. (I think on-screen keyb would be
optimistic :) )