raster at openmoko

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Nov 3 05:56:33 CET 2007

On Fri, 2 Nov 2007 22:46:21 +0100 (CET) David Samblas Martinez
<dsamblas at yahoo.es> babbled:

Fancypants is something that FST has worked on - they have built on to of EFL
(evas and friends). the same thing E17 is built on. It's NOT a replacement for
GTK - (though things like ETK and EWL do exist and are close replacements), but
what it *IS* good at far above and beyond anything else is hellishly customised
2D UI's with smooth fast graphics - without needing "graphics acceleration".
smart and optimised use of raw compute power can get you a long long long way.
That's why E17 has taken so long - a huge effort has been sunk into layers of
software below it to do just this - scale from tiny embedded devices all the
way to multi-ghz multi-core behemoths (yes evas's rendering engine is SLI and
will actually go use all CPU cores you have - automatically).

So to make any UI's that are different/exciting/sexy/whatever - it's not a bad
choice (and yes Openhand hand have clutter and we can go on and on about
other things that might be similar). This does not mean throwing away any
existing apps. GTK is a fine widget set. Use it. I believe in choice - choose
your language, your toolkit, your UI. choose what is best for you.

So where do I fit - Well my business card has 2 titles. 1 is "Evil Overlord".
Personally I like this one :) The other has "Lead Architect - Graphics". That's
pretty fuzzy, but I guess if it has pixels involved - I'll be at least sniffing
around at it. Personally I want to make OpenMoko not just work - but sing. Be
exciting. Be sexy. Beautiful graphics & UI's are not just something Apple does.
They just help raise the bar.