google open phone platform

Justyn Butler justynbutler+openmoko at googlemail.com
Mon Nov 5 22:16:40 CET 2007

The base platform from OHA will be being kept open, under
Apache2, which means we will be able to make our open source
apps run on phones running that platform easily. This increases
the chance that our apps will be adopted by big companies on
their phones.

So this is good news for open source mobile software!

Also please remember that Apache 2 is "compatible" with GPLv3 (not
v2). See here for the Free Software Foundation statement about
Apache2:
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/#apache2

And here for the FSF definition of "software compatibility".
http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/compat.html

The compatibility is only one-way. So we can use bits of the Open
Handset Alliance code, which is Apache2, in our GPLv3 software. But
they can't use ours in there code.

Justyn