Community update: The 850 MHz issue

Jon openmoko at snowulf.com
Tue Nov 6 03:15:13 CET 2007

On Nov 5, 2007 5:58 PM, Michael Shiloh <michael at openmoko.org> wrote:

> Would that it were a jumper. Unfortunately it's much more complicated:
> it's a combination of circuit, components, firmware, and certification.
>
> Michael

I think then the question is (for us slightly less technically adept):  How
do we find out what support we have in our area?

I know there have been alot of people complaining that they only have 850 in
their respective area, and a phone without 850 coverage is of no use to
them.  I don't want to be a nay-sayer, but it makes me worry.  I don't know
what band coverage I have.  Personally I have an AT&T RAZR, which the option
to select the network between "Automatic", "850/1900" and "900/1800".  Just
now I set it to 900/1800 to test, and I no longer have service.  Obviously,
I don't want to spent several hundred dollars on a phone that doesn't work
where I live, or _might_ work on the other band in the area.  Additionally,
how does this bode for traveling?  If 850mhz is widely used for AT&T - then
I would be in trouble.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the OpenMoko and really really really
want to get one of the GTA02's (I'm sure many others will agree).  But I'm
worried, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

-Jon.