Community update: The 850 MHz issue

Randall Mason lists at mason.ch
Tue Nov 6 04:02:59 CET 2007

Generally, my rule of thumb is that rural places have more 850MHz, urban
places have the 1900MHz.  The only place I would usually see 850MHz was on
road trips, but now that I live on the North Shore, there is only about 50%
coverage for 1900MHz (and it's always like 1 bar).

Randall (ClashTheBunny)

On 11/5/07, Michael Shiloh <michael at openmoko.org> wrote:

> I agree.
>
> We realize that this is a very grave issue and are treating it with the
> utmost concern.
>
> Michael
>

> digger vermont wrote:
> > That's to bad.  Like many people I've been looking forward to getting a
> > Neo and using OM. Now I'm not sure if I will.  I do a fair amount of
> > camping and canoeing, at times in rural areas.  I wonder how often the
> > lack of the 850 band would cause problems?  I looked around some and
> > couldn't find any good info on where 850 is used.
> >
> > Seems like this could affect a lot of people's decision to get the
> > GTA02.
> >
> > digger
> >
> > On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 09:35 +0800, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, this also affects the GTA02, which is now far too close
> >> to production to try to enable quad-band operation.
> >>
> >> An 850/1800/1900MHz variant has been suggested but this is not yet
> >> determined.
> >>
> >> Michael

Randall Mason
randall at mason.ch