google open phone platform

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Tue Nov 6 04:27:34 CET 2007

Google the search engine company announces vapourware
and that means FIC's time is come and gone? That doesn't
make much sense. Did you see what the "partners" are
saying? They say "we are happy to be a part of this".

This is the equivant of for example HP saying "we are
announcing that we will be working closely with XYZ".
Nothing has been agreed on, except we will be working
on it.

Ever seen how "consortiums" operate and how long it
takes companies to agree on things. There is also two
levels of agreement here. First the participants is this
"open platform" (btw let's see what that really means)
need to agree. Then they need agreement of the
wireless providers, who most likely will not be as
peppy on saying "we're happy to be part of this".

Such knee jerk reaction from one announcement,
makes no sense in "technology announcements".
Tech companies often announce things before they
even have a conceptual idea of what it will be.
It's the "spaghetti on the wall" methodology.
Throw spaghetti on the wall and see what sticks.
And google, per said company's roots, will surely
have an agenda beyond an "open platform".
Adware based on voice recognition?
I will never buy a google anything, thanks.

  -- Doug