Community update: The 850 MHz issue

Mike Hodson mystica at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 08:23:23 CET 2007

On 11/5/07, Jon <openmoko at snowulf.com> wrote:
> I think then the question is (for us slightly less technically adept):  How
> do we find out what support we have in our area?

I have previously worked for a reseller of Cingular/ATT(used to work
at radioshack for 4 years. joy!) and the stores login to their mapping
system hasnt changed, I am able to provide as detailed of a map
regarding 850 vs 1900 coverage as anyone could want.

General rule of thumb: if your market had BOTH cingular AND at&t, you
probably have at least one segment of the local network as 850. This
can cause degraded performance if it works at all.  If it only had 1
or the other, its a tossup and I can look it up.  Mind you, 850 vs
1900 even in the same cities do not cover the same.

Also im willing to field questions regarding cell networks in general
if anyone needs clarifications.

Mike