Community update: The 850 MHz issue

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Tue Nov 6 17:30:48 CET 2007

>Its really hard to imagine a company building a phone that didnt think
>through what frequencies were needed. More interestingly, that it took
>a trip from Michael to Taiwan to get anyone to focus on it. If this
>substantially sets back the development effort, it really is a major
>blow to the project.

In all fairness to OpenMoko, I think 850 Mhz is only used by the USA and
Canada, which only account for ~10% of mobile phones in the world.
That's according to statistics at
http://www.itfacts.biz/index.php?id=P7222
	United States: 201.6m + Canada: 16.6m = 218.2m
	World: 2.14bn

So the OpenMoko can still be used in 90% of the GSM world. Although,
having said that, I feel people's pain. :-(

Plus I guess you have to factor in that the number of potential OpenMoko
users/developers/hackers in the USA is probably _way_ higher than 10%.
:-)