Community update: The 850 MHz issue

polz polz at aufbix.org
Tue Nov 6 18:22:10 CET 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 17:22:22 Jeffrey Thomas wrote:
> > Its really hard to imagine a company building a phone that didnt think
> > through what frequencies were needed. More interestingly, that it took
> > a trip from Michael to Taiwan to get anyone to focus on it. If this
> > substantially sets back the development effort, it really is a major
> > blow to the project.
>
> Isn't it possible that the FIC's main userbase, in Asia, doesn't have this
> band to worry about?  I live in the US but it seems like all of these
> comments are focused on *our* coverage, like we're the center of the
> world...
Why were the phones shipped from the US, then ? Perhaps it would have made
more sense to ship them from the EU where they seem to work fine and help
many people save some dollars.

Luckily, I got a friend of mine to bring the phone across the Atlantic and it
seems to work with both major mobile providers in our country (Slovenia).