Community update: The 850 MHz issue

alan at rotorgraphics.com alan at rotorgraphics.com
Wed Nov 7 23:56:07 CET 2007

ian douglas wrote:

"I don't want to start another thread like the other guy did a few months
back bout "convince me to keep my Neo" but now I've got two major
strikes against me using this phone. What's next?"

Ahhh...There's nothing like achieving infamy to start my morning off right.

Seriously though, this is VERY bad news for western hemisphere
participation in the OpenMoko project.

I will repeat my earlier exhortation to FIC and the project:

The Apple iPhone *HAS* changed the public's perceptions of what a small,
personal communication enabled pocket computer is capable of doing and how
it can make their lives easier and keep them up to date and in touch with
all that interests them.  And after using mine for 60 days now, I am
*CONVINCED* that Apple has hit upon a nearly perfect form factor and device
interaction model.  The centered, 4.5" Diag *Finger Touch* screen with one
thumb width of grip space on either end of a basically rectangular device
is a "Golden Form Factor". Yes, there are things I would change and things
I would add and I am compiling a list, and YES, the fact that this thing's
software is NOT open source makes me nuts!

Once more with feeling now:

In my humble opinion, FIC needs to scrap the GTA01/02 form factor and
redesign it to closely match the iPhone's front face.  This would give MORE
room inside for the boards and battery than the current "stretched
doughnut" design.    At the very least, if FIC is seriously going to put
the GTA02 into production, they should start a separate design team on an
iPhone clone project immediately.  And for Tiny Tim's sake, let's use that
extra room to enable all four bands this time, OK?

Ahhh... Infamy.

Alan