Gphone and 850, perspectives

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Thu Nov 8 17:14:30 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-08 at 03:44 +0800, Michael Shiloh wrote:
> (Same problem with Global Locate regarding the GPS driver)

It might be nice to just send out the old module, even if it
theoretically isn't useful, because somebody might be willing to hack it
to make it work.   Right now we have nothing.

On the topic of 850 MHz, it is a problem that it's not supported.   It's
early days, so I don't care about it for the current phone - I can get
by without it.   But I'd like to hear if there are serious plans to add
this band to a future revision of the phone, or whether this is simply
not possible.

Even if you have a build option for 850 vs. 900, that's not a good
solution - I want a phone that works everywhere, not a phone that works
everywhere close to me.   So I hope that this is something that can
happen with a future revision of the phone, even if it's not the very
next revision.

I'm not expecting a quick answer on this - just wanted to state my
personal concerns on this, which I think are mirrored by a few other
Western Hemispheroids on the list.