i'm going to lose my neo....

Henryk Plötz henryk at openmoko.org
Fri Nov 9 02:25:19 CET 2007

Moin,

Am Fri, 9 Nov 2007 10:22:24 +1300 schrieb Robin Paulson:

> ideas? any other absent-minded daydreamers out there? is RFID the way
> to go? are there any unlicensed parts of the radio spectrum that are
> free for use by anyone using low-powered radio transmitters?

It should be possible to get http://www.openbeacon.org/ to do just
that. The tags can talk to each other or to a base station. You
should be able to program two tags to ping each other in regular
intervals and then make themselves noticeable when they lose contact.
(There are two I/O pins that could be connected to an external piezo
buzzer or vibrator.)

In principle it should even be possible to fit one of the tags into the
Neo, though that might require a new tag PCB design. I think roh already
had dreamed about something like that some time before (in a different
context).

The radio transceiver used by OpenBeacon operates in the 2.4GHz band,
but does not follow any particular standard (e.g. no Bluetooth, no
Wifi). But it's small and very low power.

--
Henryk Plötz
Grüße aus Berlin