FM radio reception on neo/openmoko and some other questions

Daniel Gustafsson daniel at hobbit.se
Fri Nov 9 23:04:26 CET 2007

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 06:46:16 -0500
"Doug Sutherland" <doug at proficio.ca> wrote:

> Silicon Labs SI4700 and SI4701 are entire FM tuners on a single
> chip, and they are tiny. I have their USB FM Radio and I use it
> every day on my PC, and I believe the same chip is in my Sony
> Ericsson phone. This is the one that uses the earphone wire as
> antenna, although it can be separate, as is demonstrated in the
> USB FM radio implementation and also their devkit. The 4701
> adds European Radio Data System (RDS)  and US Radio
> Broadcast Data System (RBDS) which can capture the station
> identification and song name. This FM tuner would be a good
> choice for Neo. Silicon Labs also has an even smaller version,
> AM/FM version, and also FM transmitter chips that would
> allow playback on car stereo for example.

Implementing an FM sender would however make the Neo hard to sell on
markets where personal FM transmitters are illegal (however weak the
signal is) such as Sweden. At least it was still illegal when I was
living there.

	cheers ./daniel
--
daniel gustafsson ; daniel at hobbit dot se ; La Trobe University ; AU