Is Google developing a phone after all?

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Fri Nov 9 15:00:19 CET 2007

Sorry to bring up the whole google phone thing again, but...

I read the arm-linux Mailing list. Yesterday, Brian Swetland ("Linux
Kernel Lead, Android Project, Google") posted, announcing the public git
tree for the Qualcomm MSM7K.

This could just be the platform the android guys have been using for
development. However, why would they go to all the trouble of porting
Linux to a new SoC when there are many other already supported SoCs they
could have used to develop on? I think this could be evidence that
Google IS developing their own phone after all, one which will run
Android.

As I've already mentioned, another interesting thing I noticed was one
of the Open Handset Alliance's members - The Astonishing Tribe
(http://www.tat.se). They have some pretty slick GUI demos and their
Kastor graphics engine supports OpenGL ES acceleration. Now look at the
Qualcomm MSM7K's specs
(http://www.cdmatech.com/products/msm7200_chipset_solution.jsp). Notice
the high-end 3D accelerator.

1) I think Google IS developing their own phone after all
2) I think that phone will be based on the Qualcomm MSM7K
3) I think Android will be using Kastor as a rendering engine
4) If so, Android will look a lot like the Kastor demos on tat's
website. (e.g. http://www.tat.se/images/demo/kastor_platform_01.mp4)

Cheers,

Tom