i'm going to lose my neo....

Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) raster at openmoko.org
Sat Nov 10 01:59:18 CET 2007

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:24:25 -0500 Ian Darwin <ian at darwinsys.com> babbled:

> > Now this is a great idea. Have it automatically go into stolen mode if
> > the sim changes.  I honestly didn't think about that one.
>
> But this obviously can't become part of the base system; it's a bad idea
> for many people.  I (and many others I know) legitimately switch SIMs
> several times a year (when travelling to Europe), and don't need to be
> worried about false alarms.

turn off sim-change-alarm
change sim
turn on sim-change-alarm

(if you never want it, never turn it on in the first place)

of course i assume you can turn it off. the idea being a thief doesn't know
this phone and all its intricate settings (maybe you need a pin number to turn
it on/off to make sure the thief can't just read the manual first then turn it
off. doesn't stop reflashing - but let's assume the thief isn't that high-tech
yet).

maybe you can register sims? put in a new sim and a dialog comes up "new
unregistered sim? register?" (and then enter your pin # to register. if you
don't the sim is accepted but the phone goes into silent alarm mode).

in the end - this is what an open phone is all about. all of you are discussing
solutions and various attacks that may or may not work for you to secure your
phone in the event of loss. in the end you can write whatever works for you and
put it on! :) OpenMoko is not going to even think of stopping you :) We're
going to give a helping hand. :)