developing C/C++ applications for OpenMoko -- where do we stand?

Thomas Wood thomas at openedhand.com
Mon Nov 12 23:18:19 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-12 at 09:59 -0800, Joshua Layne wrote:
[...]
> > If what Turkay says about the OpenMoko development platform
> > is approximately correct, this project may be doomed.
> > How can we be this far down the road without enough
> > documentation that a larger group of developers can successfully
> > write C/C++ apps for OpenMoko?
> >
> I believe the core of this perceived issue is the cross-dev environment, as
> most developers are not developing on native armv5te platforms.
>
> There are libraries for the openmoko 'widgets' that have been produced
> (openedhand).  Otherwise, I woul dimagine it is very similar to developing
> in any other gtk+ environment.

Confirmed, and you don't even need to use the libmokoui widgets if you
don't want to.

There are lots of people already writing C/C++ applications for
OpenMoko. Chances are, if you can write GUI applications for Linux, then
you can easily write them for this phone as well. The only tricky bit is
cross compiling. The rest should work exactly as if you were developing
for your desktop.

Regards,

Thomas

--
OpenedHand Ltd.

Unit R Homesdale Business Center / 216-218 Homesdale Road /
Bromley / BR1 2QZ / UK             Tel: +44 (0)20 8819 6559

Expert Open Source For Consumer Devices - http://o-hand.com/