OpenMoko phone comparisons

Peter Naulls peter at chocky.org
Tue Nov 13 01:12:22 CET 2007

Ortwin Regel wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2007 6:33 PM, Peter Naulls <peter at chocky.org
> <mailto:peter at chocky.org>> wrote:
>
>     I have concerns about the screen size (even though it's 640x480,
>     it's still tiny)
>
> The screen is small but usable. The biggest problem I see is text
> input but there are some interesting projects and ideas flying around
> to solve that.
How about in terms of viewing movies or graphics - is that sensible; the
pixels are surely minuscule?

>     and the ruggedness of the device
>
> I can't say too much about that but it seems pretty solid to me. I
> read about other people's buttons breaking and that sounds like a
> realistic issue if you use them a lot. You should get some sort of
> protector foil for the screen as the danger of damaging it is always
> big, especially with touchscreens.
>
>     My requirements are:  640x480 (for suitably transcoded movies),

[snip broken up requirements]

Yes, I'm quite aware that the GTA02 meets these requirements, as does
the UTC universal.
I wouldn't have posted here after all and named those two phones
otherwise.
The question is, do any _other_ phones also fall into this category?  Of
course, I do want
to run OpenMoko, and will do the necessary work if really required to
make it do so if
it already runs linux.

> And a general note: Your tone is very agressive and demanding. This
> does nothing but annoy people. I'd recommend you try to be more
> friendly and tolerant of seemingly unnecessary comments and people
> will probably be more friendly to you.

With respect, you seem to be a bit confused and your reasoning is
backwards.  The initial responses I got were clearly trolls (by
definition _they_ unfriendly and annoying people). I made an effort to
be clear about what I was
asking and haven't demanded anything, and the first responders had made
no effort to really read what I said.  Save your criticism for them.

Unfortunately, it just looks like to outsiders that people are getting
overly defensive it if looks like I
might be trying to criticize OpenMoko/Neo.  Let's try and restrict our
opinions to what I'm really asked.

Thanks for your feedback.