OpenMoko phone comparisons

Peter Naulls peter at
Tue Nov 13 04:33:25 CET 2007

In message <2f3aa2770711121650j1bad6048k693cff73fc1cc49c at>
          "Robin Paulson" <robin.paulson at> wrote:

> On 13/11/2007, Peter Naulls <peter at> wrote:
> > >     My requirements are:  640x480 (for suitably transcoded movies),
> > >

> some of us have been talking off list about a module from Compulab
> that may be suitable. it is an ARM device, has a ready to go Angstrom
> linux image, 640 x 480 screen, gprs, wi-fi, bluetooth and gps. all it
> needs is a case. see:

Yeah, I've been following what's been mentioned about that.  Pretty
interesting, but pricey, even if a volume purchase can be worked out
(~$750).  Odd that it's only 11b.   I could justify cobbling together a
case of my own making, but I think the price of the device is simply too
much to justify it.

I don't know much about the availability of GPRS devices et al, but
would it be possible to retrofit one to an existing device?
Alternatively, CDMA modems are avilable in PCMCIA devices - how
about a MiniPCI version on a device.  This is all guess work.

Peter Naulls - peter at        |
Linux hints wiki -