Android isn't a Java Platform - Say Hello to Dalvik

Doug Sutherland doug at proficio.ca
Wed Nov 14 00:47:12 CET 2007

On a related note, the J2ME from Sun is now open source
https://phoneme.dev.java.net/

"The project scope includes a focus on the mainstream feature
phone segment with phoneME Feature software, and the emerging
advanced phone segment with phoneME Advanced software."

Regarding Android and Sun licensing, interestingly Ed Zander
who used to run Sun Microsytstems (COO/President) now
runs Motorola (CEO), and has said moto wants to be part of
Android. If there was any kind of licensing problem he would
probably know.

Another interesting thing is that Java runs on many many
phones already. Probably most are not set up to allow
development, but from what I've seen doing tech support
it seems most phones run Java. Another interesting thing
is how prevalent ARM is used on phones. I believe ARM
actually owns this market for processors. If you have any
recent phone, most likely it's ARM inside.

  -- Doug