Gphone isn't open, linux dev not possible

thomas.cooksey at bt.com thomas.cooksey at bt.com
Wed Nov 14 09:10:59 CET 2007

>Currently, Android sucks big time, IMO.  Google has no announced plans
>for allowing developers to write any C/C++ applications.

Well I've managed to get a native C "hello world" running under the
android emulator, so it is possible to run native C/C++ applications.
"All" we need to do is work out how to talk to the surface manager and
we'll be able to get native applications showing stuff on the screen. It
is feasible to build a root-less X server for the Android platform which
talks to the surface manager to render windows. I was intending to do
this for Qtopia Core. Run an x server which displays X windows using
QWS. Probably going to be dog-slow, but who knows?

Cheers,

Tom