Community update: GSM firmware and GPS driver

Shachar Shemesh shachar at shemesh.biz
Thu Nov 15 08:51:49 CET 2007

Mike Montour wrote:
> A serial-attached GPS module with closed-source firmware is no worse
> than the hard drive with closed-source firmware in everyone's desktop PC.
Just for the record - I agree. It is unrealistic to expect EVERYTHING to
be open source at this stage. I'm just stating that the move solves the
practical, but not the ideals related, problems. If you were RMS, it
would not matter to you.

Which brings up an interesting question of why RMS has not opposed
proprietary hard disk controllers firmware yet, but that's just musing.

Shachar