Neo1973/OpenMoko as a laptop replacement

Giles Jones giles.jones at zen.co.uk
Thu Nov 15 23:56:50 CET 2007

On 15 Nov 2007, at 22:32, Steven ** wrote:

> But the GTA02 is 400 MHz.
>
> I've got a 650 MHz laptop at home that runs Windows XP just fine.
> That's over 7 years old.  I think the 400 MHz processor could handle a
> lot of the simple apps I'd want while on the move.  I plan to use the
> GTA02 much as Erland describes (minus the lens).
>
> -Steven

But you're falling for the megahertz myth. The clock speed comparison
doesn't work across different processor families.

The ARM core is a RISC design that originated in the Acorn Archimedes
computer in the mid 80s. But there are many different core designs
each with different MHz requirements.

It was the XScale which brought in the high clock speeds, but they
were slower than the previous Intel ARM chips that were half the clock
speed.

Anyway, so long as you're running Linux and complex apps designed for
the desktop then you may not achieve the speed of a laptop.