Neo1973/OpenMoko as a laptop replacement

Ted Lemon mellon at fugue.com
Fri Nov 16 02:11:01 CET 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 23:11 +0100, Erland Lewin wrote:
> I imagine a kit the size of a regular book for the Neo containing a
> fresnel lens with a frame for attaching to the phone, a foldable
> keyboard, a small mouse, and a battery pack loadable with, say, 2
> regular 'C' size batteries.

The keyboard needs to be an old manual typewriterkeyboard, and the UI
should be white on black for maximum compatibility with Brazil.

Seriously, though, I think this is a cool idea, but once you have a
proper focusing system it's probably not going to be lighter than a
laptop, so what's the point.

What I'd like to see is someone (FIC?) making a computer *like* the Neo
that's a real laptop replacement.   1Ghz ARM, DVI out, 640x480 screen
just like what we have in the Neo, runs slow when it's on batteries,
fast when it's plugged in, a couple gigabytes of flash, an external hard
drive for when you're near power, and Bob's your uncle.

You can pack a monitor in your luggage when you travel, and have a nice
setup wherever you land.   It would fit in your pocket when you're
flying, but be powerful enough to actually use when you arrive.   It
could be a bit bigger than the Neo, and if it had a GSM modem and GPS in
it, it'd double as a phone.   Neo's big brother, you might say.