GTK vs QTopia vs Android - (was: Re: Android needsapplications) (will be: new vision for openmoko)

David Schlesinger David.Schlesinger at access-company.com
Fri Nov 16 14:56:58 CET 2007

Very true. An extremely small amount of actual source code, none of it
especially useful, was released with Android. The core libraries, as
well as the Dalvik virtual machine, the tools, etc., were only released
in binary form. The only sources provided were

- the kernel
- WebKit
- the QEMU-based emulator

Google has stated that they won't be making any further releases of code
before phones running Android ship, so that seems to be pretty much all
we'll see of Android for a year or so.

You could get OpenMoko running on the Android emulator relatively
easily, but I don't think you'd have nearly that kind of luck running
the Android software on FIC hardware.