GTK vs QTopia vs Android - (was: Re: Android needs applications) (will be: new vision for openmoko)

Lorn Potter lpotter at trolltech.com
Fri Nov 16 19:35:05 CET 2007

Michael Schmidt wrote:
> Hi
>
> If I understand it right, the neo phone has now three options for an
> operating system
> - the current openmoko GTK operating system
> - Qtopia from Trolltech
> - Android linux from google.

Not an option at this time.
Android (the VM) looks like it is another java platform, so
theoretically, it can be run on top of either OpenMoko or Google.

> Do we need then the GTK-OS or the Qtopia?

Yes, because android is java.

> So maybe you can put out a clear plan,
> - if GTK OS or Qtopia is on the NEO,

Neither, really, at this time. You can even put GP(E)2 on if you want.

> Or do we should make both systems on the neo? as gnome and KDE is on linux?
> Personally I think KDE as won and bundling the energy right from begin
> is the better way.

Preferring one of these is often an emotional one, so choice is best.
After all, everyone does not want just black cars.

--
Lorn 'ljp' Potter
Software Engineer, Systems Group, MES, Trolltech